One of the best parts of Fall is picking out the family’s fall pumpkin. Farms, Fall Festivals and nurseries all offer a wonderful variety of great gourds to choose from. Here are a few tips to help you make the perfect pumpkin pick:
- Choose a pumpkin that feels firm and heavy for its size.
- Choose a pumpkin that has consistent coloring.
- Turn the pumpkin over and place pressure on the bottom with your thumbs. If it flexes or gives your pumpkin is not fresh.
- Look for soft spots, mold, wrinkles or open cuts that would indicate damage or early spoilage.
- Choose a pumpkin with a solidly attached stem, a green stem indicates a freshly harvested pumpkin.
- Place your pumpkin on a flat surface to check to see if it will sit flat after being carved.